Monday Mugshots Collaboration Feb 15th

If you're new here, you can take a moment to see how the prompts work this year by clicking HERE.
 Shooters can share their pictures from this prompt on Facebook 02.18
15th
PROMPT: Favorite Quote
SHOOTERS: Shoot your mug with your favorite quote.
BOOKERS: Find a quote you love and journal it. Print your mugshot onto a book page or dictionary page. You can use THIS PIN from pinterest as your inspiration! 

RACHEL
When my son Macs was smaller, he LOVED to create art. Once, I interviewed him when he was just ten days shy of turning five, ABOUT HIS ART. I still get choked up when I read that interview about him being an artist. In his interview, he said "The world is all the art that I can do." In the context of our conversation, he meant that there were no limits to what he could do as an artist, and he could make all the art in the world. I love that so much. It's one of my favorite quotes.
GLENDA
I looovveee quotes and had a hard time only picking one. I chose the quote "How others see you is not important. How you see yourself means everything". I think that is a lovely quote and more people should live by it. I glued a couple pages of dictionary pages onto my page and then layered everything around it. All of the stamps I used are from Viva Las VegaStamps! as well as I used alot of paint and rub ons.


SUSAN
This quote sums it all up for me. Ever since I read it a few years ago it's stuck with me. I've seen some shorter versions of it but I like it as it appears above. I have no idea who said it first, but for me & my recovery it just fits.  
AMY
Shooter:
For my "Shooter" part of the prompt I did something a little different. I had this white mug, with a gorgeous turquoise inside, I had bought a few weeks ago while grocery shopping. I took a cue from Pinterest and drew my quote on the mug with Sharpie markers and then baked in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (upon which I promptly dropped the mug in the oven while trying to get it out leaving a chip on the lip). I shot the photo at the base of a rose bush we have in the backyard and used a focal b&w edit. I thought the contrast of the b&w + the nasty thorns to the happiness of the colors on the mug were a PERFECT representation of finding the best in even the darkest of situations...in other words...Blooming Where You Are Planted!
Booker:
I love quotes, but one of my favorites is "Bloom where you are planted". For me, it translates to make the best of your situation and look for the good. This year brought a MAJOR move for me. After spending 38 years of my life in NE Oregon, due to my husband's job, I moved with him to Idaho. While not too far from where I grew up it's still a big change for me. Thus, this quote is especially meaningful to me now. I can focus on what I left behind and what I miss and be miserable, or I can focus on all the NEW that is ahead of me and ENJOY the journey.
Page Info:
I used a map of Canyon County take from the phone book as the base to emphasize the relationship between the quote and the move.
Supplies:
Antique White Acrylic Paint
Prismacolor Colored Pencils
Sharpie Marker

SUMAIYAH
"If in thirst you drink water from a cup, you see GOD in it. Those who are not in love with GOD will see only their own faces." ~Rumi

PAGE COMPOSITION
Dylusions Ink Sprays -- Vibrant Turquoise
Silks Acrylic Glaze -- Sunflower
Perfect Pearl Mists -- Interference Red and Perfect Copper
Sakura Gelly Roll Pens
Kitty Mug Photo (courtesy of Pinterest) -- Printed on a Book Page
Stamps
CTMH Exclusive Inks -- Chocolate
Brilliant Blue Ink Pad
Liquitex Matte Gel Medium

BETH
Asking me to choose a favorite quote is like asking me to choose my favorite child. I like words. I've collected quotes since I knew how to write and spell. But I want to be a good sport, so I chose a quote that suits my life very well right now.

"I slept and dreamt life was joy, I awoke and saw life was service, I acted and, behold, service was joy."  - Rabindranath Tagore

If I don't hold onto this reminder with all my strength these days, I get pulled down by laundry and errands and picking up toys and cooking dinner and, and, and... All the little things that I do for the ones I love, they are acts of service, demonstrations of how much I care about them, and how thankful I am that I get to spend my life intermingled with theirs.
(Page photographed is in the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp... a highly recommended read).

Are YOU ready!?
The rules
  1. Use all or just one of the prompts.
  2. MAKE THEM YOURS. These prompts are IDEAS. They are not set in stone. I encourage you to stretch yourself. If you find a prompt doesn't speak to you, think on it. Find a way to MAKE it speak to you, and go with that. 
  3. You do NOT have to be a coffee drinker to play along! Tea, Water, Beer or the Hard Stuff. WE DON'T CARE!! Make the prompts work for you and your mug. (or lack there of)
  4. There is NO right or wrong.
  5. Share your feedback positively. ABSOLUTELY no judging of what others share. (If I find that people aren't following this rule, I will remove links left by that person.)
  6. This is a place for you to explore! It doesn't matter if you've just gotten here in the middle of the year, or if you've gotten "behind" and don't create every day. It doesn't matter if you don't create at ALL... (although we'd love it if you do)  
  7. Add your link to what you book or shoot in the comments here for easy visiting and sharing!! Be sure to add a DIRECT LINK. (you can get this most times by clicking on the title of your post, and then copying the URL.) General links to websites will be deleted (because they make it hard for people to follow behind and find the post pertaining to this prompt) ALSO, links leading to posts that do not make it clear how they are related to the prompts will be removed. 
  8. If you would like to "officially" sign up to be listed in our participants list, visit the sign up page, by clicking on GOT BADGE at the top of the page. (this is one area where direct links are not needed!)
~rachel
All images and content on this blog is copyright to Rachel Whetzel and Guest Hosts. Please give credit when sharing your art that is inspired here! Thank you so much!!

Comments

  1. FYI the pin link above does not work. It says the page can not be found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lacey! I think I fixed it. Can you tell me if I did?

      Delete
  2. I love this quote prompt. It was so fun. Thanks for the idea.
    http://stamplaughplay.blogspot.com/2013/02/be-yourself-be-in-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scroll down to the second picture to see my mug and quote inspired page! http://portergandg.blogspot.com/2013/02/drawing-painting-collaging-stamping-etc.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://geknipt.blogspot.be/2013/02/quote.html

    I made the photo in front of my computer.
    On the screen you see my weblog with a quote on it "Dare to be different, that's what makes you special!"
    I didn't had the time to figure out how to print on little pages, so I took the page with different on it out of the dictionary and glued it on the journal page, with the picture on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine's up: http://naturesprintshop.blogspot.no/2013/02/quote-in-journal.html

    Thank you for the inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is here:
    http://hweesartjourney.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/keep-drawing-says-pissarro.html

    Thank you for hosting and for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally finish my page, hurray!

    http://lalasworldblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/laughter-is-sun-that-drives-winter-from.html Thank for the creative prompts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://artbylwilliams.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-hope-exit-is-joyful.html

    Sketch entry for favorite quote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine is here: http://effywild.com/2013/02/26/effy-loves-monday-even-when-its-tuesday-where-the-beloved-lives-wvideo
    Thanks Rachel! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love coffee, love the challenge. Printing on book print is awesome!
    http://karenbearse.blogspot.com/2013/02/mugshot.html
    check it out!!!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course, Vikki!! Glad to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this challenge.
    http://ignitea365dayartadventure.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-year-in-life-of-art-journal-monthly.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my fave quotes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25193940@N02/8546374601/in/set-72157628904470005/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Favorite quote, from Auntie Mame.

    http://travelingquilter.blogspot.com/2013/02/favorite-quote-challenge-artjournal.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So happy to have you here! Please be sure to leave a direct link to your projects so I and others can come visit!!
~rachel
NOTICE: due to the high amount of spam comments I have to filter each day here, I have removed the ability to comment anonymously. If you do not have a google, wordpress, typepad, aim or live journal account to comment with, please consider creating one!

Popular Posts